Friday, January 2, 2009

Resolutions: Why bother?


I've never been big on the New Year's Resolutions. Maybe it just seems like a weak reason to make significant changes in your life. A new year? Who cares. A new day starts in about an hour and a half and I'm pretty sure it's going to be a lot like the one that just ended.

However, a lot of people buy into the "resolution" industry. A poll on Vitamin G shows that 64% of Glamour readers (whoever they are) always make resolutions and 36% said "No--there's too much pressure!"

According to About.com the 10 most common resolutions are:
  1. Spend more time with family and friends.
  2. Work out.
  3. Lose weight.
  4. Quit smoking.
  5. Enjoy life more.
  6. Quit drinking.
  7. Get out of debt.
  8. Learn something new.
  9. Volunteer.
  10. Get organized.
And surprisingly (randomly?), USA.gov has a list of popular New Year's resolutions as well. They've added save money, get a better job, get a better education, take a trip, and reduce stress at work and in life. Just in case you needed ideas, the government is here to help!

I have to admit, I made one resolution last year: to stop drinking to excess.

This was a retroactive measure taken in response to a particular situation. I brought in 2007 with a handle of tequila and subsequently spent the following day and a half lying on the floor of the bathroom. I made an ass of myself and was totally ridiculous. I thought, "I'm too old to be doing this!" Seriously, it's not attractive AT ALL. I don't care how hot you are or how short your skirt is. Once those eyes roll back in your pretty little head and you vomit all over yourself, it's over. Disgusting.

And what's the status of my resolution? 366 days (leap year!) and still going strong. No more pukey nights for Chloe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You don't have to have a Google account to post. Just select "Name (URL)", put in your name and skip the URL part. Or select "Anonymous" if you want to be mysterious...