Friday, January 30, 2009

2009 Fitness Goals: Another Halfsie, Pushups?

In 2008, I joined the YMCA, ran my first half marathon and starting doing yoga.

In 2009, I'd like to add another halfer and some pushups, please?


Last year, I ran the 28th Annual Stratton-Faxon Fairfield Half Marathon in June with my friend Laura and her family. THIS YEAR, Fairfield has upped the ante including MEDALS for all half marathon finishers. As if I didn't need another reason to do it!

This is a big deal. I'm not a distance runner and although I'm athletic, 13 miles is extremely daunting to me. Last year, I tried to train, but there were some extenuating circumstances that kept me from focusing as much as I wanted to (i.e. a stalker, whatever). Before the race, I think the most I ran consecutively was 8 miles. But then again, that's the number I told everyone, and I clearly I would have lied about it, so really think it was closer to 6. I finished the race, but I was running about 10 minute miles, which is not really anything to brag about.

In any case, I'm going to do it better. The race is June 28, 2009, so that gives me just under five months to pull my shit together. Most half marathon training programs are for 12 weeks or so, but I'll need to start getting back into better shape now, especially taking care of my knees.

Also, I'm intrigued by the One Hundred Pushups challenge. Following the posted program, they assert that in only six weeks, you could do 100 pushups. For reals?

I'm going to look into this more and report back. Anyone interested in trying it out?

4 comments:

  1. woot! i will not be joining you in this half marathon but i will come cheer you on again!

    also check out cool running training plans. i did the couch to 5k plan last year and really liked it, although this one looks more daunting.

    and of course, if you want to hit up dr. becque for training tips, he'd be happy to help. in his younger days he used to run a lot of races / long distance cross country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 minute miles! If only...
    Also, I started the 100 push-up challenge last summer but never finished. Tried to get the Ferrante gang on board, but no go. You want a buddy? I'm in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright Laura, I'm trying to pull together the schedule for the 100 push-ups. I'm also thinking of doing a Google Docs spreadsheet so we can keep track of our progress and brag to the others about it. I'll keep you updated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. Kim tried to do it last year. I think she made it all the way to week 3. Then...nothing. She tried to make me do it too, but it was a no go.

    But I should try to get my act together and do something. Now that I don't swim, my arms are like noodles.

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to have a Google account to post. Just select "Name (URL)", put in your name and skip the URL part. Or select "Anonymous" if you want to be mysterious...