Thursday, March 12, 2009

"To eat is human; to digest, divine." Mark Twain -- Blog Digest V.1

My Google Reader would be bursting at the seams, if it had any. I subscribe to about a million too many blogs, but I CAN'T STOP. I've turned into something of an information whore, most of which has absolutely nothing to do with my life or interests.

In an effort to organize my thoughts and revitalize my own blogging efforts, I've compiled a short list of interesting posts from some sites I follow, any of which may serve as a future jumping off point for more thorough and exciting posts of my own. Fingers crossed.

  • Day Light Savings started last weekend, yet here I am 4 days later, still tired and whiny. If you're searching for answers in this madness, read a short history here and the modern day implications here. You may feel marginally better.


  • Julie's Health Club reports that drinking 2+ sodas a day may put women at a higher risk for kidney disease. There isn't a link to the scientific article, but it sounds like just another reason to avoid adding 300-500 empty calories to your diet every day. Also, March is National Kidney Month! Learn more about why your kidneys have a month here.

  • The LA Times provides fantastic advertising for a crazy (but awesome?) yoga-wine-chocolate class at a southern Cali spa. One reader is outraged by the concept, as seen in the comments, but I can't say I hate the idea. However, it could be like that Full House episode when Michelle tried her hand at cooking, mixing tuna and oreo ice cream. Just because they're delicious separately, does not mean they will be delicious together.

In other news, it is now MARCH if you didn't get that memo. Thank God the steely isolation of winter is melting away! However, I'm sure New England will probably pretend it's winter for a few more weeks. Stingy bastard.

Spring is a fantastic time of year to me. Not so much for the weirdo weather, but more for the combination of warm, fuzzy nostalgia and burgeoning potential the summer has to offer. For as long as I can remember, the promise of Spring hits me around this time, just when the symptoms of advanced Cabin Fever are setting in. It's not necessarily the antidote, but it goes far to curb the insanity.

I think the excitement is not so much for Summer weather, though, but more for the need to get things started again, to breath in fresh air and to explore the possibilities (however small or large they might be). If ever there was an ideal time to make a big change in your life, I'm confident it is Spring. Forget the crap about New Year's Resolutions... I think Spring-time Resolutions probably have 400 times the sticking power. Also, I think the inter-species peer pressure would do some good in influencing these decisions. Nearly every other living thing is making a new beginning, why can't I?!

And that is my essay entitled, "Why Spring is Pretty OK." Boston-area open mic nights WATCH OUT.

1 comment:

  1. But I still don't understand why it took me a week to adjust to DST. Will you post a link if you find anything explaining that? In the meantime I'm going to follow your advice on napping and try to take a quick one before I make dinner. Not Mac n' Cheese this time, I'll let you know when I try that again.

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to have a Google account to post. Just select "Name (URL)", put in your name and skip the URL part. Or select "Anonymous" if you want to be mysterious...