Monday, May 3, 2010

Things I Used to Wear: HOMECOMING EDITION


Holy hair trends! Cleaning out old bathroom drawers can be dangerous. Especially when they are filled with MILLIONS OF OLD HAIR CLIPS.

Gross.

This picture represents the bulk of the bounty I recovered from a small drawer and a cabinet. What's not pictured are the many bottles of nasty smelling lotions, the used shower puffs, the sparkly shower gels or three bottles of solution to clean piercings. All from Claire's. Anyway.

Notice the bag in the back on the right. It is a bag of plastic curlers. My mom used some of those curlers to curl my hair for Easter festivities when I was 2 (see photo below). They were also used to curl my hair for Easter festivities for the next TEN YEARS. Or thereabouts.

Perms aren't for me.
On the far left are some giant clip thingys. What were those called? Claws? Anyway, I have no idea why there would be so many in my bathroom. Everyone in my family has very fine hair, so those claws would have been outrageously huge on the backs of our teenage heads holding our little bit of hair, half slipping out. Now that's just impractical.

At the bottom of the picture, you can find some teeny tiny sparkly claws. I have to say that I don't remember wearing these, but I could have blacked it out. Were they a Spice Girls fashion trend? A high school dance hair accessory? It's unclear. I suspect that my sister used these items more than me, but I'd hate to falsely accuse her of something so horrific as wearing tiny clips when she was 12. That was sarcasm.

One thing I'm sure of is this: neither my sister nor I wore 1/4 of this crap. For real. I would not lie to you about this. Our hair decorating days were in elementary school, and most of this accumulated after. Those giant clips were just impractical and we were WAY more into scrunchies anyway. The most popular (and therefore, hideous) of those scrunchies were disposed of long ago, because elastic bands can only withstand so many scalding water washings. I think it's for the best.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to say that I have a VERY similar collection still hiding under my bathroom sink. I've been too scared to tackle it, but you have given me faith that it can be done, so thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled to have inspired you, Hen. Yes we can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a similar collection at home, especially the nasty smelling lotions, sparkly shower gels, and hair things that I never used. My mom made me clean out the worst of it a little while ago.

    Umm, also tiny Chloe wearing a princess related shirt. Favorite.

    ReplyDelete

You don't have to have a Google account to post. Just select "Name (URL)", put in your name and skip the URL part. Or select "Anonymous" if you want to be mysterious...